Charged with a DWI on Vacation: Can You Finish Your Sentence at Home?

Have you ever heard the rumor that if you are pulled over in one state that the charges won’t follow you? This is a dangerous myth to believe. If you are charged with a DWI in one state, you still have to face those charges. If you do not show up to court, you could be subject to a warrant. The truth is that these charges can and will follow you.

Make sure that you show up for court, no matter what. Odds are you will have to go to court in the county that you were charged with the DWI. While this may be inconvenient, you may not have to remain in that county for the entirety of your sentence.

Drinking and Driving Out of State

When you are out of state on vacation, you may not be thinking about the potential for being pulled over. Most people don’t give a lot of thought to what happens if you are pulled over outside of your home state. This is because most don’t want to consider being pulled over. When it happens, however, and you are facing a DUI or DWI charge, you need to take it seriously. You can still be charged for a crime when you are not in your home state. It can become complicated when it comes to showing up on your court date, but you still need to show up.

Serving Probation Elsewhere

If you are from a different state, the judge may allow you to serve your sentence in your home state. When it comes to serving your sentence elsewhere, your home county has to offer the exact same sentencing. For instance, if you have to attend alcohol classes and you are on probation, then your county needs to have alcohol classes for you to attend. It is possible to serve your sentence elsewhere, as long as there are the exact same punitive measures in your state.

When it comes to DWI, these are serious charges. Even if you are out of state when you are charged with a DWI, you still have to go to court and you still have to face whatever penalties that the judge orders. Now, this doesn’t necessarily mean that you have to remain in that state forever. You may be able to serve your sentence elsewhere.Do not hesitate to set up a consultation with a criminal justice lawyer, like the ones at May Law, LLP, as soon as possible. The sooner that you begin the process, the more time you will have to build a solid case.